Re: beta 2 plans

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 11:29:27AM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> > I will test the powerpc images on my powerbook until the end of this
> > week. IMHO Sven has to decide about the powerpc freeze date, because
> > most of the work on powerpc has to be done on non-pmac subarches. He
> > will probably the one doing this work.
> > I will be able to work on d-i again by Jan 8.
>
> I'd be very suprised if any non-pmac subarches are included in beta 2,
> since I have never heard of anyone installing on one yet.

Well, because it did not work, since there was no kernel support, and
d-i handles home made kernels very badly, at least it did last time i
tried.

beta2 if or when it is released for powerpc should work just fine on
prep, on chrp and chrp-rs6k, provided a boot method with separate
initrd can be used.

Only thing really missing is the builtin initrd support for prep, chrp
and chrp-rs6k. Additionnaly, chpr and chrp-rs6k have size constraints on
the builtin initrd which will mean that only the netboot image will
work. I have not yet been able to work around this problem in the kernel
itself though.

I will do tests with the netboot image today, and report back.

If nothing else, it should be possible to unpack the initrd to a random
filesystem, and boot that.

old world pmac and miboot booting is definitively not supported yet.
Someone with knowledge of that and access to hardware should work on it.
The kernel should be ready for it, but the kernel-di stuff should be
able to handle both the -powerpc config and the -powerpc-small one.

As for support of power3 and other ppc64 stuff, i will soon add a new
config for 64 bit powerpc, and people with that kind of hardware can
test that then.

Friendly,

Sven Luther