uname -a: n/a
Date: Sat Jan  3 15:46:40 CST 2004
Method: CD boot via SRM console
Machine: Microway AlphaPC 164SX
Processor: Alpha 21164 533 MHz
Memory: 384MB
Root Device: /dev/hdd2
Output of lspci:
00:05.0 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 41)
00:05.1 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB (rev 41)
00:05.2 USB Controller: NEC Corporation USB 2.0 (rev 02)
00:06.0 PCI bridge: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21050 (rev 02)
00:07.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Video Capture (rev 02)
00:07.1 Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Audio Capture (rev 02)
00:08.0 ISA bridge: Contaq Microsystems 82c693
00:08.1 IDE interface: Contaq Microsystems 82c693
00:08.2 IDE interface: Contaq Microsystems 82c693
00:08.3 USB Controller: Contaq Microsystems 82c693
00:09.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA 2164W [Millennium II]

Base System Installation Checklist:

Initial boot worked:    [E]
Configure network HW:   [ ]
Config network:         [ ]
Detect CD:              [O]
Load installer modules: [O]
Detect hard drives:     [O]
Partition hard drives:  [E]
Create file systems:    [O]
Mount partitions:       [O]
Install base system:    [ ]
Install boot loader:    [ ]
Reboot:                 [ ]
[O] = OK, [E] = Error (please elaborate below), [ ] = didn't try it

Comments/Problems:

So, I figured I'd give this image another go after pulling the SCSI
controller out of the machine.  The SCSI card happens to be an
integrated SCSI/ethernet device, so there was definitely no network
configuration happening on this one -- and the netinst image quite
persistently let me know that this wasn't going to work, but I continued
on anyway to see how far I could get. :)

With the qlogic card out, detecting the remaining IDE hard drives worked
just fine.  When it came time to partition, though, the installer failed
miserably.  Although the partitioner udeb has a script to tell it which
partitioning program to use, and knew that it was supposed to use fdisk
for SRM-based systems, fdisk-udeb wasn't installed.  Installing the udeb
by hand let the partitioning run normally, showing that everything else
was being detected correctly.

By this point, the ailing IDE drive I'd thrown in for the test was
giving me frequent read errors, so I never got through creating a new
filesystem; though mounting the existing fs did work when I tested it,
and formatting only failed because the hardware balked.

I've also tested the kernel-image-2.4.23-1-generic package on this
system, and it shows the same problem initializing the SCSI driver as
the 2.4.22 kernel on the CD did.  I'll continue trying to get to the
bottom of that little failure.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer