Re: beta 2 update

James J. Ramsey wrote:
> I tested the Jan 3rd i386 netinst iso. It still
> doesn't work with older ATAPI CD-ROMs that can't
> handle DMA, since 1) the standard kernel parameter
> ide=nodma gets mysteriously ignored by the installer,

There is nothing mysterious about it. Read the module HOWTO.

> and 2) AFAIK, not all motherboard BIOS allow the
> disabling of DMA.
>
> I don't know if you consider that badly wrong or not.

Not really, this is a minor issue that affects a minority of old
machines and can be worked around. If you really need to get this to
work, you should be able to boot in expert mode and enter the nodma
parameter when it loads the appropriate ide module. It's nothing to
delay the beta for.

However, we do need to go through the syslinux help screens eventually
and remove documentation for parameters that will not work at boot time
since the drivers are in modules.

--
see shy jo