Re: discover and ISA detection

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 01:14:42AM +0000, Dale Amon wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 07:00:30PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > I am not aware of any of the discover maintainers opposing ISA
> > support, but know that several share my view on the subject.  I
> > believe it is a waste of time trying to get discover to support ISA
> > devices, but welcome anyone that want to give it a try. :)

> Virtualy every machine I have here (other the he laptop and
> NeXT's) uses ISA. My primary workstation uses an ISA
> SCSI card. My firewall and firewall test machines are all ISA.

> ISA is going to be around for a very long time to come
> yet.

Which doesn't really speak to whether it's feasible to use discover to
try to auto-detect ISA devices.  Autoconfiguration of ISA devices has
always been a complicated undertaking, and since ISA represents a
diminishingly small fraction of deployed peripherals, it seems unlikely
that anyone will invest the time needed to support this correctly.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer