Re: beta 2 plans

Hi Joey,

* Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> [2004-01-01 20:56]:
[...]
| > 2. I'm unable to debootstrap any distribution. isn't this an known bug
| >    busybox?
|
| No, if it's the bug I'm thinking of, it is fixed in debootstrap-udeb in
| incoming. Hard to tell with no details.

it always say: invalid release file (or something like this)

| > manty: please change DEBCONF_PRIORITY to "high" in:
| > 	install/powermac/yaboot.conf
|
| I see that I made a stupid mistake. I switched expert and install. Boot
| with expert for the high priority install. This is fixed in debian-cd CVS.
| :-/

ok. so this is fixed.
I will retry it with the images tomorrow, when busybox is installed into
the archive, hope problem 2 is then also fixed.

| > | So my new plan is, as soon as i386 is releasable, to work to migrate the
| > | current set of debian-installer udebs and images to testing. AJ has
| > | agreed to do this without the usual testing delay stuff, all in one
| > | lump. After that is complete, we will make a "beta2" branch in the CVS
| > | tree, and open HEAD to development. However, we will *not* upload
| > | developmental udebs to unstable, because that would make it hard to get
| > | any fixes into testing -- so anyone who wants to do work in HEAD will
| > | have to set up their own udeb repository or upload to experimental or
| > | something. Uploads to unstable will be reserved for changes to fix
| > | porting problems. Once a port is ready for release, it will be copied to
| > | testing the same as i386 was.
| >
| > please do it for powerpc also.
|
| It's very good to hear that powerpc is almost ready. I think it will be
| ok if it laggs i386 by a few days though in getting frozen and into
| testing. Let's make sure it's 100% there. And make sure that it works
| for someone else besides just you. :-)

isn't this the job of the beta release to see, if it works for other
peoples also? I guess the basic architecture problems are already solved
before beta1. So all problems should be releated to special harware or
special environments.

Bye
Thorsten