Re: status of pppoe support in d-i ?

joeyh@debian.org wrote:

>> > It could also be put on the net_drivers floppy, for use
>> >with a 3 floppy full net/ppp install. That floppy currently has only 71k
>> >free (but already includes ppp and serial port modules), so if that is
>> >not enough space, we'd need a separate ppp_drivers floppy.
>> Do not forget that the ppp modules are useless without ppp-udeb, so you
>> either find the 200 KB needed by it or remove these too.
>If the udeb is 200k then we'll need to split all that off to a separate
>ppp_drivers floppy.
How could it be split?
I can't find a list of which packages are in each floppy, but pppoe
depends on the udebs with the ethernet drivers.

>> BTW, what are the serial port modules supposed to be used for? ppp-udeb
>> does not support setting up a dialup connection (it lacks chat(8) and a
>> configuration front end).
>They were probably included initially in the expectation that we'd have
>ppp support on there sometime, I don't know.
Yes, but this is not going to happen, so they should be removed if
they are not needed.

>> Anyway, if the plan is to support pppoe with three floppies then I think
>> this part could be skipped, probably users who cannot boot a pppoe
>> initrd from the network or from an USB drive would prefer to download
>> the business card CD image rather than mess with floppies.
>Some people do not have CD drives.
No CD drives, no USB drives and no network, but broadband access?
It's possible, but it looks like a corner case to me.

--
ciao,
Marco