Re: powerpc d-i build

Thorsten Sauter <tsauter@debian.org> writes:

> * Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> [2003-10-26 10:56]:
> | Well, please enable build of powerpc images on something else than just
> | pmac then. It doesn't make sense to keep using a maybe older build
> | system but which is only able to build for a limited set of
> | architectures/subarchitectures, while development has gone into adding
> | support in the new branch. If we reasoned like this, we would still be
> | using boot-floppies today.
>
> what it needed to support more sub-architectures? I guess the
> initrd-image is always the same, isn't it?

Each kernel flavour needs its own modules. That means its own initrd
due to space concerns. We can't put 3 sets of modules on the initrd
for m68k without bloating it. On the other hand m68k has nearly
everything compiled in so we might not need any modules.

Powerpc might be able to use the same kernel for all. Not sure.

> The only changes we need, is to include more kernels (or merged
> kernel+initrd files) on the cdrom.
>
> Maybe we must also include different files (mkisofs options) to allow
> other machines to boot from such a cdrom.

Powerpc needs mibot floppies, which need the smaller kernels Sven lost
by autopartitioner. yaboot already works. Both can coexists together.

MfG
        Goswin