Re: Install report

Jukka Neppius wrote:
> 1. No documents!  The page
> http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/ has a promising link to
> "The Debian-Installer's INSTALLATION HOWTO".  Unfortunately it does
> not give anything.

I think you'll find that link is working now. We're still in the process
of restoring services after the recent security breach of the Debian
servers.

> 2. Guessing name of the first boot diskette was easy.  2. took some
> time.  If first diskette asks for 2. boot floppy, there should be a
> file bootfloppy2.img (or something like it).  Rootfloppy.img would
> also be good name, but then boot floppy should ask for it.

The INSTALLATION-HOWTO makes it much easier, but we do plan to rename
these images, particularly the badly named "floppy" image, in the future.

> 3. I wanted to install from network.  Two boot floppies found network
> interface from Epox 8K9A71 motherboard.  Everything went well until
> installer wanted to configure CD-drive.  Installer refused to believe
> that there is no CD-drive!  I can get debs from local network easier
> than from CD, so I didn't install a CD drive.  I was able to finish
> installation by selecting next installation step from the menu.  After
> each step installer wanted to configure non existing CD.

This is a known problem that's on our list to fix.

> 4. Keyboard configuration was easy as usual. Unfortunately after first
> boot Debian had forgotten that I don't have US keyboard.

This is a base-config bug, and is fixed in the version of base-config in
unstable. I'm not sure if that version of base-config has made it to
testing yet, but it will eventually.

> 5. An old problem: I usually make a 'small' root partition.
> (currently it should be about 150 MB, my first Linux computer had
> total 80 MB disk space.)  This computer had relatively small disk, so
> I made only / & /usr. I should have made symlinks /var -> /usr/var ...
> I forget that while trying to configure non existing CD, so I run out
> of disk space.  Tasksel did hide the error message so I had to use old
> reliable dselect. It told immediately what is the problem.  Fix was
> easy.  Perhaps installer could check the size of / and if it is small
> and not all big partition were made, ask user where /var should be
> moved (same with /usr, /home, /tmp).

How exactly did tasksel hide the error message?

I don't think that having the installer make symlinks would be very
good. It would be good if it tried to ensure that the disk sizes were
sane, but of course different people's definitions of "sane" varies in
this area.

> Result was working system. Network and sound drivers were found
> automatically.

Good deal, you should fill out the installation report template you'll
find in /root, and file a proper install report with that template that
includes the hardware you installed to so we can track it.

--
see shy jo