Re: architectures status

Hi Sven,

thanks for correcting my comments.

* Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> [2003-12-10 21:37]:
| > - NewWorld PowerPC's are well supported (Apple)
| > - OldWorld PowerPC's are _not_ supported (because we need a floppy boot
| >   method here)
|
| There is already a oldworld kernel in the NEW queue. It is called
| powerpc-small, and should fit with miboot on a floppy.

a cool. this means 2.4 kernels are now working on OldWorld machines? Why
we have then this stuipid "d-i doesn't support oldworld" discussion?

| > - Pegasos is supported, if the new kernels escape from NEW (Sven?)
|
| Yep, altough i will have to redo a build because of some RTC stuff i
| have doubts about.

cool.

| > - IBM RS/6000 machines (Chrep): should be supported, I'm working on a
| >   special kernel build here at the moment. (direkt cdrom is maybe also
| >   possible)
|
| Huh ? The normal kernel build should work, you just need the
| powerpc-chrp-rs6k flavor of the kernel. There is also a non-rs6k chrp
| flavor (used by the Pegasos, but also other chrps out there, i think).

well, I have tested the kernels, which are currently in the archive
(normal or d-i) and both of those doesn't work. The machine will *not*
boot at all. (I have used the chrp-rs6k kernels). Have you tested those
kernels on such machines?

| > - PReP machines are completly unsupported
|
| There is the powerpc-prep kernel, which should work.

that's why I have written unsupported. Noone here has really tested the
images on PReP machines. The d-i cdrom's are *not* bootable on those
machines. I guess we should say here _unsupported.

| For chrp, chrp-rs6k and prep, i don't really know what support is needed
| apart from the kernel. The kernel with the same powerpc config should
| work, but you need to adjust the boot-loader wrapper.

I'm playing here with the chrp-rs6k part.

| Ah, i forgot, you need to embedd the initrd for some of those, but i
| have code and a package (also sitting in the NEW queue) for taking an
| initrd and embedding it in the kernel.
|
| I am not sure of the interest of embeded initrds for pmac, but they can
| be used on prep, chrp and chrp-rs6k, when not doing netboots (which can
| load the initrd from the net, if i am not wrong).

could you please create such a kernel, which an embedded d-i initrd for
rs6-chrp machines? I would like to test it, because the only way to load
the ramdisk on those machines is currently by using a second floppy
disk. But this can maybe replaced by such a embedded initrd file.

| > (unsupported means here, you can simply download one of the d-i images
| > and install a system)
|
| Nope, this does not work, you need the kernel sitting in the NEW queue
| since over a month for that to happen.

Can you put theses deb's online somewhere other, so I can download it
and testing the kernels on the rs6k?

Bye
Thorsten