Re: Installation report on CDROM-less machine

Cameron Patrick wrote:
> - Throughout the installer, the line-drawing characters looked a bit
>   messed up. (using "^" for horizontal lines, ">" for corner bits)

Lack of proper frame buffer, bterm, and fonts stuff on netboot. This has
been fixed in the dailys.

Although the underlying issue of why things look that way w/o a frame
buffer has still not been resolved.

> - The keyboard layout selection is confusing.  It first asked me for a
>   keymap for a USB keyboard - but I wasn't using a USB keyboard, and all
>   of the options it gave me were for the Mac, and for some reason it
>   defaulted to British English.
>
>   It then took me back to the menu.  After selecting "Select a Keyboard
>   Layout" /again/, it asked me whether I was using a PC or USB keyboard,
>   defaulting to USB; I chose PC.  Why was it necessary to ask this, and
>   why was I prompted to choose a keyboard layout twice?  Finally, it
>   gave me a selection for a PC-style keyboard layouts.

This is at least partly fixed.

> - It didn't succeed in loading all the modules it wanted to; the culprit
>   appears to be "ide-cd".

Not really a problem, but in the dailys it is less annoying about this
sort of error.

> - There was no way to specify where it downloaded the debian installer
>   modules from, or to tell it to use a proxy server.

This is a new problem to me, AFAIK the "Choose a mirror" menu item
should do that.

> - It kept wanting to find a CD drive; there wasn't one, so it couldn't.
>   Selecting "No" when it asked whether you wanted to configure a CD did
>   nothing.  Selecting "Yes" and then "No" when it asked about non-IDE
>   non-SCSI CDs took me back to the menu.  Surely a network installation
>   should be able to work properly without a CD?

Yeah, this is annoying for all non-CD installs, though you can work
around it.

> - After choosing to partition the drive, I got the modules error again.
>   Other than that, partitioning with cfdisk seemed to work.  Mounting
>   filesystems likewise seemed to work.  I wasn't told exactly which
>   partitions were going to be mkfs'ed in the final warning - it would be
>   nice to have that final confirmation list the partitions it was going
>   to wipe.

Good idea..

> - The keyboard navigation for "Go Back"/"Yes"/"No" choices was a bit
>   weird - it seemed as though the installer thought that "Go Back" was
>   on the right hand side, not the left.

I think this has just been fixed, and will be in the next set of daily
builds.

--
see shy jo