Re: Common debconf variables for serial console?

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> At the moment, both kbd-chooser, lilo-installer and grub-installer
> need to know if the installation is using a serial console.  In
> addition, there is code to detect this in rootskel
> (/lib/debian-installer.d/S30term-linux) and set TERM_TYPE=serial in
> this case.  To avoid duplicate code, I suggest using the same debconf
> template to store the required information, and that we add these
> three templates to rootskel:

base-config (2.0) uses kbd-chooser's debian-installer/serial-console
too.

>   Template: debian-installer/console/serial
>   Template: debian-installer/console/serial/port
>   Template: debian-installer/console/serial/speed

I am wary about making debconf questions whose names are the same as the
"directory" other debconf questions are in. The spec currently allows it
and it will work with all (perl) debconf database backends, but I can
think of useful debconf extensions that would break questions with such
names.

--
see shy jo