Re: use of release names in d-i

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Joey Hess]
> > Please can't we change this to use symbolic release names?
>
> Check that it work with CD installs first.  I remember some problems
> with missing symlinks and / or debootstrap only understanding the code
> names.  I am not sure if this template is the one used by the
> retrievers nor base-installer, but check it out first.

IIRC the current cds link *everything* (including stable!) to
sarge.

However, you're right about debootstrap. Thinking about it some more,
debootstrap could add symlinks to make it support release names, but
this would then involve the same problem with somehow updating the
stable link when sarge is released.

If the CDs had Release files that included the code name then we could
use that to map between the names. Unfortunatly, the CDs do not
currently have such a thing, nor does the debian archive.

--
see shy jo