My experience with d-i
Dear D-I developers,
I have tested the debian-install first beta.
I have used the sarge-i386-businesscard.iso.
I have a IDE disk a IDE CDROM an windbond-840 ethernet card and
a SCSI card (aic7xx) with nothing attached.
Here my experience:
I have entered `net' at boot prompt.
The `Choose language' do nothing, but if I run it,
the `Detect network hardware' will prompt me whether
it should try to detect hardware or not.
If I do not run `Choose language', `Detect network hardware'
directly process to detect hardware
The probe find my hardware (floppy,windbond-840,ide-disk,ide-cd) but
then ask me for options or a lot of module irrelevant to my system.
It finish with `Something has gone wrong'.
Then it proceed with the `Configure network via DHCP'. This one is
really painful, since it lock the install for a long time since I have
no DHCP server, but I was not offered to skip this stage and go directly
to 'Configure a static network'.
I think 'Configure a static network' asks question in the wrong order.
In a lot of case, hostname, domainname are not required for installing.
(and a lot of people don't have a domainname either.
Even the DNS server is not always needed.
So it should ask first:
At this point, I found no way to install in a loop device (boot-floppies
supported that) so I had to give up the install.
What is lacking is:
--- dd (to create the file)[Also it is our eponym program]
--- losetup (to create the block device)
--- the d-i equivalent of b-f 'use a premounted partition'.
I have always been a big fan of the `boot-floppies' installer. I hope
I will soon be fan of 'debian-installer'. Keep up the great work!
Imagine a large red swirl here.