Re: netinst image not detecting sym53c8xx

Le 2003-11-05 22:59 (mercredi), Joey Hess a écrit /
On 2003-11-05 22:59 (mercredi), Joey Hess wrote :
> Baltasar Cevc wrote:
> > Two days ago, I downloaded Debian Netinst (large version) and
> > tried to install the system using it.
> > Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm using a Smy53c8xx SCSI
> > controller which usually works well with linux and also
> > with Debian kernels.
> > However, using the Netinst CD-ROM it was not detected and
> > I didn't find a module for it.

Like Baltasar I'm testing sarge installs with the debian-installer and
the target system is a full SCSI machine (disks, cdrom, etc.) I intend
to provide installation reports as soon as possible.

> You were not trying to install using a *scsi* cdrom were you? Those are
> not supported without an extra drivers floppy; you have to boot the
> cdrom and then load the scsi_drivers disk.
>
> If it's a normal IDE cdrom, you should have gotten all the scsi modules,
> including sym53c8xx, after d-i loaded the rest of itself from cdrom.

Could you give more information on the loading of "external" modules
please ? Why and how should it be done ?

I'm following this list for some weeks now, and I couldn't remember
having read anything related, but I don't understand everything that's
beeing said on the list though.

Why SCSI drivers, and I guess some others, are not "included" in the
netinst iso ? Is it a temporary situation ?

Maybe updating the Installation Howto would benefit others ?
http://cvs.debian.org/debian-installer/doc/INSTALLATION-HOWTO?rev=HEAD

Cheers and thank you,

--
Marc-Aurèle DARCHE  <http://www.cynode.org/>