Re: [powermac] installation report gluck image from october 31

On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 11:23:29AM -0500, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 02:59:38PM +0000, Richard Hirst wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 02:18:45AM +0100, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
> > > Hi all!
> > >
> > > Many progress! Many thanks for the good job.
> > >
> > > Now the problems I faced:
> > >
> > > - debootstrap stopped with error code 127.  I read the
> > >   /target/var/log/debootstrap.log:
> > > ln: /target/usr/bin/awk: File exists
> > >
> > > So I deleted the symlink in a shell (I cannot go to another console :(),
> > > then exit and re-run install the  base system. A lot of packages seem to
> > > have been installed but I got a debootstrap error code 1. In the log:
> > > Errors were encountered while processing:
> > >   amiga-fdisk
> >
> > You need to look farther back in the log to see what the problem was
> > processing amiga-fdisk.  It's likely your install used a version of
> > debootstrap that doesn't install libreadline4, which amiga-fdisk needs.
> > libreadline4 was removed from debootstrap in a recent version, breaking
> > m68k (since fixed, except libreadline4 is now included twice in sarge)
> > and ia64 (bug filed).  It seems it broke powerpc as well.
>
> amiga-fdisk problems are reported left and right, maybe I should do
> something about it. I don't know much about the debian-installer, for the
> boot-floppies we have an amiga-fdisk-bf package, which does not require
> libreadline4, can't we use this package instead of amiga-fdisk?

Notice that i have NMUed parted with amiga partitioning support, so some
though about some future removal of amiga-fdisk may be in order.

That said, the version in parted is not yet feature complete compared to
amiga-fdisk :

  o it does not allow you to set the partition type, but that is a
    design failure of parted, not directly libparted though.
  o it does not allow you to set boot priorities. Don't know if this is
    important for us though, it is mostly a amigaos related feature.
  o it doesn't allow you to do per cylinder partition table fixing, but
    only per megabyte, which should be ok, since libparted respects the
    partitioning constraints imposed by the amiga partition scheme
    (partition must be on cylinder boundaries).

I will be working in the future to improve the two first points, as well
as to add support for amiga filesystem, but these would need API
changes, and possibly even ABI changes, so i will not hurry with those
here.

That said, parted is not all that stable in my experience, altough i
believe that this is more related to the parted frontend, and not to
libparted.

Notice that you have two bug reports with patches from me :

  #212880 and #212840

The first being RC, and related to a gcc 3.3 FTBFS, and the second not
being RC but probably of RC quality : a short is used to calculate the
disk size, which makes for bad partition tables. This probably has never
been detected because nobody did use amiga-fdisk to create partitions
tables on disks, probably using an amigaos tool for that.

A new upload of amiga-fdisk will probably help making sarge more
releasable, if you like, i can NMU it, or even enter in
co-maintainership of amiga-fdisk with you or take over the package if
you like, if it is not going to be dropped totally.

I have also some patches i lost due to debian-installer to add support
for more amiga filesystems types (SFS, PFS, muFS, ...).

Friendly,

Sven Luther