Re: current install disks modification

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 04:00:41PM -0700, Matt Kraai wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 07:34:14PM -0300, Marcos Dione wrote:
> >     what I couldn't find was dbootstrap's source code, nor any doc,
> > scripts, hints, etc about the way to build the floppies. I've heard a
> > urban legend claiming the existence of some 'boot-floppies' packages ore
> > something like that, but it seems that it was a long, logn time ago (in
> > a galaxy far, far away?). I mean, someone has built those floppies, and
> > given that he might do it several time till they got good, must have
> > used some scripts or Makefiles or ... ?
> >
> >     so, can you gimme any pointers? I think I'm very close to the end of
> > this, and just need a little push. may be I overread something, yes, is
> > very possible. ah! and a little note: I'm not subscribed to the list, so
> > please cc'me. TIA.
>
> You can find the boot-floppies source at
>
>  http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/b/boot-floppies/boot-floppies_3.0.23.tar.gz

(I suspect it will take more than just changing targets.)

Another option, of course, is trying to get the (almost) beta
installer for sarge, debian-installer, to work. The advantage being
that support is supposedly built in to make installs scriptable. You
can see that code at

http://cvs.debian.org/debian-installer

If you go that way, though, you would want to be subscribed here
or at least check the archives at lists.debian.org/debian-boot.

Yet another is to see whether fai or another automated boot-floppies
installer could switch distributions at a higher level.

And, where should applications be sent? ;) That's a lotta developers.

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
  By the People, For the People