Re: Proposed build system

Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 08:56:57PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:
> >
> > > For powerpc, this would be :
> > >
> > >   oldpmac miboot floppy install : needs one kernel floppy + miboot,
> > >   initrd on one floppy also, but maybe a two phase installation (would
> > >   need 3 floppies) as the initrd will not fit on one floppy.
> >
> > CD1/dists/sarge/main/disks-powerpc/...
> > CD1/disks link to ^^^
> >
> > Netboot images will be on CD1 too.
>
> Heu.
>
> > >   oldpmac bootx/newpmac yaboot : both will be the same, exception is
> > >   that newpmac will use yaboot, while oldpmac will give instructions on
> > >   getting and making bootx work.
> >
> > CD1 bootblock
> >
> > >   chrp/chrp-rs6k builtin initrd : this one would need a initrd builtin
> > >   the kernel image, and will easily be booted from either yaboot (chrp)
> > >   or from OF directly (chrp-rs6k or pegasos).
> >
> > CD2 bootblock
>
> Could the needed kernel be on CD 1 also, for direct booting from OF (no
> bootblock or whatever needed in this case).

Afaik CD1 allways had a full set of disks-arch so the kernel would be
on there. Some more convenient links should be added.

If you can use the same yaboot and present a menu or something the
chrp flavpour could also be on CD1. Just sounded like they would conflict.

> > >   prep : no idea, but the above method should do also.
> >
> > CD3 bootblock
> >
> > And then start from the begining with different kernel flavours or
> > low-mem versions or just non-bootable CDs.
>
> I don't think we need different flavors.

Hopefully not.

> > Does that sound ok?
>
> Mostly yes, altough i may miss some stuff.

Keep adding. I'm just scetching from hear-say about powerpc.

CD1 would also contain Amiga APUS stuff I guess.

MfG
        Goswin