Re: New per subarch 2.4.22 powerpc kernels, please test.

On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 02:15:20PM +0200, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-10-04 at 18:43, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 08:48:28AM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:
> > > On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 01:31:55PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks, Sven. I gzipped vmlinus-2.4.22-powerpc-pmac, and it
> > > is 1675729 in size, thus cannot fit on a 1.44 floppy. Is there
> >
> > Yep, i feared thus, i will maybe make a new configuration run, but this
> > would mean that the modules udeb are not compatible. Maybe removing more
> > stuff from the kernel and putting it in a initrd as modules would be a
> > solution, i hear there is lot of place on the debian-installer image,
> > but this may only be on x86, not sure thus.
> If in any way possible, it would be better not to have two different
> kernels for oldworld and newworld. I think someone with some knowledge
> about what hardware exists for mac hardware should go over all
> configuration options and tell which parts that are actually compiled
> into the kernel aren't of any use. (Chris could you do that?)
> Sven: would it be possible to make a more modularized kernel? AFAIK ide
> and usb (and scsi?) are not modules. The standard i386 kernel is far
> more modularized and uses an initrd also for "normal" booting. This
> could be the way to go.

Well, sure it could be possible, but you have to choose the options,
i cannot really do it, since i don't have pmac hardware. Keep in mind
that this is the same kernel which is used for prep/chrp/pegasos/rs6k
also though.

Now, at Oldenburg someone asked me to have firewire builtin, and not as
modules, so we have to choose which way we want to go.

What are the steps needed to build an initrd from the kernel sources, do
someone have an idea ? Does kernel-package do it, or do we in some way
create a tarball with the modules in it, that will be copied over to the
debian-installer to create the initrd ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther