Re: Debian Installer, ia64 status update

On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 10:05:20AM +0200, Matt Kraai wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 01:12:18PM +0100, Richard Hirst wrote:
> > I'm using the newt frontend, which looks pretty good, except for some
> > package names running off the edge of the screen during base install.
> > Maybe the frontend code could cut down the start of the filepath,
> > keeping the first word of the line intact, so it looks like:
> >
> >            Retrieving: ...ebian/pool/main/f/foobar_1.2_ia64.deb
> >
> > Frotend-specific, of course, because the frontend is the bit that knows
> > how wide the window is.
>
> There is code in CVS to wrap long progress bar information.

Ugh, just seen it in action.  Very ugly, IMHO, with the window jumping
up and down the screen, changing height, and wrapping in the middle of
the package name (which is really the only interesting bit of
information in that text).

I think it would look much nicer to abbreviate the line somehow (as in
my exapmle above) rather than wrap it.  Maybe we do that in the front
end, or maybe we make debootstrap do it, working on some assumption such
as progress text should not be longer than 70 chars.

Richard