d-i more modular

On Sat, Aug 30, 2003 at 11:46:08AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
 [ stuff from thread Subject: Re: Cannot boot sarge distribution ]

> BTW, i tried booting the cdrom initrd with a kernel i usually use, which
> has most of the stuff built-in, and d-i complained loudly about all
> those missing modules.
>
> I suppose that some people may want to build kernels later on which are
> uniquely suited to their machine, and use it with the d-i initrd images,
> because the standard kernels don't work. Would it be a good idea to have
> d-i also work in these cases ? Or am i missing something ?

If you you missed something, then I did also.
Debian Installer is designed as a modular concept.
IFAIK (selfbuild) kernel and initrd should also be modules,
at least should work seperately without complaining.

Are there any ideas about redirecting the "missing module warnings" ?

> Friendly,
>
> Sven Luther

Geert Stappers