Re: Installation report on two macs

Il dom, 2003-08-31 alle 18:35, Thorsten Sauter ha scritto:
> * Giuseppe Sacco <eppesuigoccas@libero.it> [2003-08-31 12:55]:
> | trying to solve this problem we found that in build/powerpc/yaboot.conf
> | the line 'append="init=/linuxrc"' is missing. This line is required in
> | order to properly boot the powerbook.
> well, I have the same problem on my ibook some days ago. For me this
> looks like a kernelbug, because my self-compiled benh kernel works fine
> with the current configuration.
> The commited build/boot/powerpc/cdrom-yaboot.conf works on iBooks, I can
> test, if the changes you are propose also works. If so, we can simply
> include the append paramter.

First, thanks for your explaination.

Second, we tested on both iMac and powerbook3.4 and 3.5. We thought that
this was a kernel bug (or, more probably) a CONFIG_* missing, but then
even in syslinux.cfg we found that this parameter is passed to the
kernel.

> | Once the kernel boot we found impossible to load any modules. This is
> | because the busybox-cvs-udeb.udeb was compiled without
> | lsmod/rmmod/modprobe/insmod. We then tried to find the correct source of
> | busybox byt this seems to be impossible: the source from unstable are
> | older than the version printed during the boot by the udeb downloaded
> | from the archive.
>
> imho, busybox-cvs doesn't support lsmod and friends on powerpc archs.
> Thats why these binaries are not included in the udeb. Two ways to solv
> this problem:
> 1. fix busybox-cvs :)
> 2. install the modutils udebs (modutils-basic, modutils-full)

This explain why we got an earlier kernel panic with the busybox
recompiled with modprobe.

We weren't aware of this problem in busybox, but we understood that
modprobe is missing.

There is an enormous lack of documentation on the installer, we had
really many problems tring to understand how it works and how to modify
it. And the problem that you are pointing -- about modprobe not working
on powerpc -- is not filed as bug. So noone was aware of it.

Bye,
Giuseppe