Re: debian-installer test

Hi Giuseppe,

* Giuseppe Sacco <eppesuigoccas@libero.it> [2003-08-31 11:26]:
| 3. we tested the installation on many old machines that had old/dirty
| cdrom devices. On that machines we got read errors that were shown as
| 'integrity check failure on package ...'. We think that it could be
| useful if the installer could check an md5sum/crc of the disc. The
| corrected md5sum/crc might be put on the disc label;
cdrom-checker is the udeb you are looking for. It checks the whole cdrom
against the md5sums, which are stored on the cdrom.
$cdrom/md5sums.txt

| 7. selecting 'partitioner' we get the message 'Failed to partition the
| disc /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc.' just after the selection of
| the disc . At this point there is noway to go on since the user
| interface is blocked. We may only switch to differentent console, but we
| cannot select neighter 'continue' nor 'go back';
[...]
| 10. the partitioner module complains about a missing libslang.so.1
| library while in the /lib there is only libslang.so.1-UTF8.

hmm. looks like the partitioner module can't execute cfdisk. Which
frontend you are using? newt, text, ...?

Please try to partition the disk by hand on the second console (to make
sure fdisk can use the disk). If this works, you can try to modify the
partition script: usr/share/partitioner/{$arch,common} to use only the
fdisk program. This will help you to continuing testing the installer.

Bye
Thorsten

--
Thorsten Sauter