Re: Cannot boot sarge distribution

[Paul Galbraith]
> I just downloaded the latest sarge snapshot cd from
> http://gluck.debian.org/cdimage/testing/netinst/i386/ and tried
> installing, but had two separate (I think) problem.  I used the
> vanilla linux kernel provided, presumably knowing the right
> paramters to use can alleviate the problems, but I don't know what
> they might be...
>
> 1.  I have a MS Natural Pro keyboard, which has a combination
> usb/ps2 connector, both of which I have connected to my machine.
> When selecting a keyboard (step 2 in the install process, I think) I
> get this error:
>
>     "segment fault kbd-chooser's postinst existed with status 35584"

This is actually two problems.  A bug in kbd-chooser crashing if the
keyboard definitions are missing, and the missing keyboard
definitions.  Check #205381 "kbd-chooser's postinst exited with status
35584".  A workaround is to install the console-data-at udeb first
(using anna), then it should run without crashing.

> 2.  I have a PDC20276 (Promise) sata raid controller, and the next
> step of the install (locating cd-rom drives, I think) hangs my
> machine with this message on the screen:
>
>     "Detected module 'ide-prod-mo' for 'Linux IDE probe Driver'"
>
> Can anyone suggest some next steps for me to try?  TIA,

No idea.  Bad driver, HW or something else?  Is the module name
correct for your controller?