Re: linux 2.4.21 on stable (was: Re: booting 2.4 kernel on old PC)

Hi Roberto,

> 2.4.21 runs just great on Woody.

And indeed it works on my old hardware that 2.4.18 does not work on.
Hopefully 2.4.21 will enter Woody officially soon, so it's covered by
security updates.

> > If I don't want to destabilise my stable system by mixing central
> > packages, my best bet seems to be to fetch kernel-package and
> > build the kernel-source-2.4.21 from testing on stable.

> > Would I use kernel-package from stable for that and would that be
> > able to build the kernel from testing?
>
> It will work fine from stable.

Yup, it worked on my second attempt.  On the first attempt I said 'M'
to all kernel facilities that I did not say 'Y' to in 'make config',
"just to be sure", and some modules did not compile.  Then I realised
I could make a new custom kernel at any time and selected only what I
really needed, and it worked.

> > Are modutils and initrd-tools likely to be an issue?
>
> Nope.

Modules are fine too.  On my second attempt I built without --initrd.
Once I accepted that the custom kernel was for the particular machine,
I felt it was unnecessary.  I may not even use modules at all next time.

Thanks for your help, Roberto.

Regards,
Marco