Re: ITP shell-parted and debconf-partitioner

On 31.VII.2003 at 20:04 Thorsten Sauter wrote:

> | 3. If the user choosed a partition, then there are options to delete,
> | resize, format, mount, etc.
> mount,format should be removed. It's part of partconf.
>
> | 4. If the user choosed a free space then there are some options to
> | create, format and mount a new partition.
> same here.

I will make this configurable.  We see that there is a increasing
number of Debian-based distributions and thats why I'd like to see
this partitioner flexible enough.  As a minimum it will be only a
partitioner and nothing more.  However it will be modular and
additional functionality can be added by other udebs.

I think that it is more convenient if the user deals with partitions
only once during the installation proces.  In particular I want to see
possible the following scenario:

 The user chooses to use some partition as /usr.  Then a the following
message appears:

 The operating system "Cool GNU/Linux" already uses this partition as
/usr.  Please choose one of the following: 1. format the partition
(all existing data will be erased!) 2. use the partition for /usr
without formating 3. create a new directory and move the existing data
in it 4. save a backup of "Cool GNU/Linux".

If the user chooses 4 then new directories (say "old-os") will be
created in all partitions used by "Cool GNU/Linux" and all existing
files will be moved in them.  Also copies of MBR and boot sectors will
be saved somewhere.  Next time the installer will notice this backup
copy and the user will have the option to restore it.

Anton