Re: The new ordering of newt frontend buttons

ons 2003-07-30 klockan 10.51 skrev Alastair McKinstry:
> Agreed on both points; I will make the changes.
>
> On a wider point, I disklike the boolean method in general.
> Yes/No dialogs are deprecated in UI design in favour of more explicit
> verbs : eg. <goback> <partition>. In some of the d-i
> between <no> and <goback> ?  However its hard to change those
> dialogs as there is no method to present a non-boolean button
> question.

I agree that boolean questions in general are bad. However, our main
problem is that we are using debconf, and we're stuck with it. This
means boolean questions. Or misusing select questions. Ick.

Another problem is that sometimes, "Go back" is indeed go back,
sometimes we'd rather have it mean "cancel, cancel, abort aboooort!" We
could try to rephrase boolean questions in terms of continuing and
aborting instead of yes/no to avoid the infamous yes/no/cancel horror.

> Also, in some languages, eg. Irish (Gaeilge), my second language,
> there are no words for yes/no! (Instead you have to phrase things
> in terms of something like, "Do you want me to partition your
> disk? <I do> <I don't>", and make sure you use the same verb
> in all dialogs; a pain. Oh the joys of i18n. And yes, boolean algebra
> was invented by an Irishman, George Boole, or at least
> he lived in Ireland)).

Oh. Dear. You people are insane. :)

/Martin
--