Re: Freeze after startup with bf24

Eduard Bloch <edi@gmx.de> writes:

> It sounds like a kernel issue, with borken hardware. You may try to
> disable framebuffer, see boot screens. Background: when the first
> screen appears and fb is enabled, the installer looks for
> translation catalogs on CDROM drives. Maybe some of your CD drives
> is broken, or the kernel freezes because of broken IDE driver or
> chipset, or whatever. As said, it's a DELL, you can never be sure
> when such things appear there.

For what it's worth (for the archives, or if anyone's interested) it
turned out to be a problem with the CD drive, because unplugging it
solved the problem.  Not only that, even after the system was
installed I couldn't have the CD drive in and run a 2.4 kernel (it
would hang, right after showing the login prompt).  A 2.2 kernel seems
to work just fine, though.

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>