Report of some problems in debian-installer

I've done a test run of debian-installer at debcamp with the aim of
finding stuff that needs to be fixed, such as bad UI, things that don't
work when doing unexpected things, and such. Time only allowed me to
actually complete the installation once, although that installation
failed to boot. Anyway, I still did find a lot of issues, and am sending
the report here as instructed:

* "Go back" never works
* Dialog boxes didn't have pretty borders
  (probably related to missing 8-bit characters,
   and lack of fbdev is currently blamed)
* Text strings are cut off when 8-bit characters are encountered
  (I was using "Northern Saami" locale, if it matters, but I
   don't think it does)
* Hash marks on the right, probably scroll bar, improperly displayed
  (may be related to missing borders)
* Network module tg3 was not automatically detected
* Path to tg3 module was asked for. though did work by hitting Enter
* Could not detect additional network modules after the first one
* Network setup asked for hostname - is that necessary?
* When asked to confirm network setup, the lines were not aligned
* After DHCP setup, configuring static networking was default next step
* Static network allowed me to leave IP address empty
  (although the network setup expectedly failed afterwards)
* Mirror setup asked for protocol (http/ftp) - is that necessary?
* Filesystem creation (mke2fs?) did not have a progress bar
* Manual partition configuration allows trying to mount swap space
* If in manual partition configuration I choose "leave filesystem
  alone" for all mount points, it still warns me that it's going to
  destroy all data
* If swapon fails because the swap was already activated by a
  previous partition configuration, an error message results,
  maybe swapoff should be done when restarting partition configuration
* If in manual partition configuration I choose to create a new
  filesystem, it won't do that if swapon failed because of the above
* I got "partconf postinst" errors
* GRUB failed to install, apparently because the automatic partition
  config had set up the system to boot from a partition, not from MBR,
  or something (I've never used GRUB before so I'm not sure)
* LILO installed successfully, but the boot failed, apparently
  because initrd wasn't configured properly or something
  (if it matters, I had skipped the hardware detection step -
  apparently it shouldn't matter, it should be done anyway, but
  I don't think any information about detected hardware was ever
  shown to me, I think it should have shown some information then)

Although I didn't get to test everything, I hope this helps.