Re: Sarge install insists on installing over net, and fails to install into /target/

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 10:04:26PM +0200, Torsten Nielsen wrote:
> I've been trying to install Debian from my freshly burned CDs.
> CD images were compiled using jidgo.
> Machine is std. Intel PIII 1GHz with CD-RW and DVD incl ADSL
> connection.
>
> I'm booting from CD nr.1 and I've tried to boot linux, cdrom and
> cdrom144, and things work ok even though it seems set on setting
> up my network connection.  If I don't it complains, that it's
> not possible to download some file, and if I do it asks for a
> mirror to download/install from.
>
> I tried installing from the net, and a lot of packages are downloaded
> and extracted, but after a little while it says:
>
> P:2 40
> Debian Installer Main Menu
> Installing base system into /target/ failed
>
> check /taget/var/log/debootstrap.log and
> /target/var/log/debootstrap.err.log
>
> The last file is empty, and the first only contains:
>
> ln: /target/usr/bin/awk: File exists

This is a result of re-installing over a previous attempt. It's advised
to start with a clean partition, but if you want to continue, try

rm /target/usr/bin/awk

(which is a symlink), then Install Base System.

> I tried to install the kernel, but got halted with similar message.

You should install the kernel and modules before the base system,
right?

> Q1: How do I get past this stopping block?
> Q2: How do I convince the installer to install from CDs ? - I've
> allready burned all nine!

You should be able to choose CD-ROM as your installation media. It is
a menu choice after choosing Install Kernel or Install Base?

Remember, sarge is approaching beta. If you continue to have problems,
please take good notes about messages you see and the order things
happen in, so we can help you and so we can fix problems.

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
  By the People, For the People