Boot problem

I recently installed Debian from the LordSutch.com ISOLINUX mini-iso.  When
I got to the step where you try to boot from the hard drive, it did not
work.  I can boot from the boot floppy created during installation. But when
I try to boot from the hard drive I get a text screen that says:

MBR

01 01 01 01 01 01... repeating forever until I reset.

When I boot from floppy, I can access everything.  Network works fine,
installation continued to download needed application files etc.

So here is my setup and conditions:
I have two hard drives, Maxtor 4GB each.
Windows 98 on the master (hda)
Linux on the slave (hdb)
On hdb are seven partitions.  The first is bootable hdb1.  It is only 8MB.
The second is the \.  Third through sixth are \usr, \home, \var \tmp.  Last
is SWAP.

The installation program detected another bootable operating system , asked
if I wanted to include it as a boot option.  I answered 'yes'.  Installation
said I am setting up to boot from a drive that is not the master which is
not supported by some BIOS.  I said do it anyway.  And then I rebooted.

The first time through it booted windows 98 like previous to installation.
So I modified the BIOS to boot from the slave.  The next boot gave the
endless 01  01  01.. like I stated above.

Booting from the floppy works great, but I don't want to do this forever.
Please give me some advice and assistance.

Jeff
jeff_bullard@sbcglobal.net