Re: powerbook 17" install

http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/pool/main/c/console-common/console-common_0.7.22_all.deb
> Segmentation fault
>
> This is installing sarge.  I have tried 2 mirrors with the same result.
>  I might try a US mirror instead and also might try Sid instead of Sarge.
> I tried Sid and US mirrors with the same problem.
> I am now trying ftp instead of http and it seems to be getting further.
>  I get some retry warning messages.  eg.
>
> W: Retrying failed download of
> ftp://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/pool/main/c/core-utils/core-utils_5.0-4_powerpc.deb
> W: Retrying failed download of
> ftp://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/pool/main/c/core-utils/core-utils_5.0-4_powerpc.deb
> W: Retrying failed download of
> ftp://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/pool/main/c/core-utils/core-utils_5.0-4_powerpc.deb
>
> With ftp it doesn't segfault and still continues.  There might be a bug
> in the http protocol for wget ???
> I finally did get a segfault when trying to retrieve
> libdb1-compat_2.1.3-7_powerpc.deb
>
> Is this a problem with the kernel on the TiBook 17?  I'm passing the
> "nol" kernel parameter as advised by Ben H.
> Maybe it's a busybox and/or gcc bug ???
I think it's not a kernel but, but a bug in busybox's shell. This shell does not
work for debootstrap (the script downloading and installing the base system).
You can circumvent it if you download dash-udeb (another shell without this
bug). I think a patch for this has been comitted, but probably not yet uploaded.

gaudenz