running debian without X-system

I've installed debian woody 3.0 rel1 and han't added any user (exept root). When I restarted system I cannot login over
GNOME desktop - it says: administrator cannot log in ...  by means of this screen.
Now, I am in mat postion .... I can stop system ( I don't know how ) to display this GNOME screen, to add some user and
continue on. I don't know how to go to shell without booting X-windows. I have not idea how to change LILO options on booting
because I have not any menu to choose ... again without direct aproach to shell.
Previously, I have Progeny and had not any problem to
choose way to boot. Here even I have rescue option, it do not help me because it bring me X-windows screen and wait for
user (not root) to  log in.

Can somebody explain me tips and tricks and give solutions to overcome this postion.

Thanks in advance.

Bruno.