Re: Website suggestion

lör 2003-05-10 klockan 12.23 skrev Ander F:
> I don't know if I'm writing to the right person,
> but...

Good question, debian-www is the list to contact about www.debian.org,
and debian-cd are responsible for the CDs, but on the other hand, we
here are responsible for the installation program, so... :)

> I'm a first-time Linux user. After learning about the
> various distros, and the versions of Debian, I decided
> to install Sarge (Testing). I downloaded the Sarge
> ISO's and burned them to CD.

I'm sorry, I fail to see how a first-time Linux user decides to go with
a version called "Testing" over a version called "Stable". Where did you
get the CD(s)? I know for a fact that the
http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/ page says, in bold letters, "The
images are only intended for testing the new installer for sarge."

> When I booted from CD 1, the setup program was
> completely different from the one described in your
> installation manual and the Debian book I have.

The installation manual is for the "Stable" release, which is the *only*
version that *is actually released*. Using un-released software is at
your own risk.

> After spending several hours attempting to use the
> setup program, and scouring the Net for advice, I
> found a newsgroup post from a similarly baffled Sarge
> installer. The reply: "Sarge isn't for first-time
> installers. Install Woody."
>
> Why is nothing said about this on the Debian website?
> Wouldn't it save new users a lot of time and
> frustration?

I guess we expect new users to use the *released* versions.

/Martin
--
Martin Sjögren
  sjogren@debian.org -- marvin@dum.chalmers.se