woody install on a Compaq Contura 410C and wrong memeory detection

Hello,

I am trying to install debian on an old Compaq Contura 410C laptop.

It only has a 350Mo harddisk and 12Mo ram.

I am using the 2.4 boot floppies from woody.

Linux boots correctly and i get to choose the language. Then the debian
splash screen gets displayed and i am informed that there is not enough
ram, but i have 12Mo of memory installed, and it claims that this is not
the case.

Should i be using another boot floppies set, try the new
debian-installer, or is there something wrong with the ram detection
mechanism. I know i have 12 Mo ram, both because the bios displays them
when memory checking and because the compaq setup program did tell me
so.

Any help is welcome.

Please CC me, as i am not subscribed to the list.

Friendly,

Sven Luther