SV: SV: loop: can't get info on device

> > > That device is normally on the root.bin filesystem. Maybe
> > > it got deleted or hidden somehow? You should see many devices
> > > in /dev, including loop0-7.
> >
> > It's already there, and "makedeving" it again has no effect.
>
> I noticed that you can also get this message if the device node is
> there, and loop support has been compiled in the kernel, but you
happen
> to call losetup /dev/loop0 without further arguments (and /dev/loop0
> isn't already set up).
>
> If that's the case, it would seem a script on the boot image you're
> using is broken. How do you boot? Directly from CD or from floppy?
> How did you obtain/create the floppies?

I used a SBM floppy to boot from the CD. The sbm floppy image came from
the Debian CD.

I tried to boot from a rescue floppy / root floppy (images from the
Debian CD) and then installed from the CD - same result.

I've also burned a new CD in case something went wrong - same result...

The machine is an old Pentium 166 MMX machine with an IDE and a SCSI
disc (I'm trying to install the system on the IDE disc.)

\Åke