Re: Image file too large for low memory

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 01:04:55AM -0500, Owen B. Mehegan wrote:
> Hello -
>
> I hope this is the right list for this question.
>
> I'm trying to install Debian over a network to my Dell Latitude LS
> laptop, which does not have a CD ROM or floppy drive. It has an onboard
> 3Com NIC (3c905 I think) which claims to support network boot. I did a
> netinstall of Debian to a Sparc a few months ago and was able to get it
> to work, so I'm fairly familiar with the setup of tftp and dhcpd.
>
> I have both services running on my local network and have the
> tftpboot.img file in the proper place with the right permissions so it
> can be served to the laptop. After some tinkering I am at a point where
> the laptop is able to get an IP from DHCP and tries to load the boot
> image from TFPT. This is what I see on the laptop screen during this
> process:
>
> Managed PC Boot Agent (MBA) v4.30 (BIOS Integrated)
> (C) Copyright 2000 Lanworks Technologies Co. a subsidiary of 3Com
> Corporation
> All rights reserved.
>
> Node: 00B0D0A42B88
> DHCP...
> TFTP............................
> File transfer error: Image file too large for low memory.
>

> I've searched Google and the mailing list archives for a solution to
> this problem and come up empty. Am I SOL? Any input would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> /Owen
>

> --

For booting 3com cards a special file format has to be used. I use this
utility:

piotr@omega:~/prg/diskless$ ./imggen

Image Creator for MBA ROMs v1.00
Usage: imggen [OPTION] inputfile outputfile
  -a,   Add 3Com MBA/BootWare support
  -r,   Remove 3Com MBA/BootWare support from image file
  -i,   Show information on an image
  -h,   Help screen

This Utility will patch any Linux or MKNBI patched kernel so that
it can be booted using any 3Com MBA/BootWare ROM
piotr@omega:~/prg/diskless$

The commandline I use is:

mknbi-linux -x -a "auto rw nfsroot=kernel nfsaddrs=kernel root=/dev/nfs
ip=::::zembla::dhcp" -k bzImage -o zembla-II  && ./imggen -a zembla-II
/home/piotr/omega/zembla

Hope it helps.
Regards.
--