Re: Building floppy images without having to mount the image

Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> Perhaps someone knows another tools. Syslinux' main advantage is
> in my eyes that it exists and works. I think it was neighter made for
> this usage (but for beeing able to create such disks from DOS, when
> I didn't misread anything), nor optimal for the usage. (Do we really
> need a FAT-Table on something that is write-once?)
Actually, it's a neat feature that the boot-disk isn't necessarily write once.
For example, the debian installation manual, chapter 10 [0], explains how to
replace the kernel on a boot disk. This is a good thing to recommend to people
having unsupported hardware.

Additionally, syslinux main advantages are that it exists and works and (modulo
the mounting wished to be optional in #180660) is as easy as it gets.
(Amongst syslinux main advantages are such elements as...)

Cheers

Thomas

0.  <http://www.debian.org/releases/woody/i386/ch-boot-floppy-techinfo.en.html>