Re: debian-installer - using devfs in the installed system

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 10:07:39AM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> It might give us a few new problems:
>
>  - Some platforms do not have working devfs support.  drop or add
>    workaround?

this archs uses 2.2 kernels, so we can't currently use d-i on it. there
are devfs patches for 2.2 but i don't know there state.

>  - Will all kernel devices handle devfs properly?

i know one module with problems, ethertap. but this driver is marked as
depreaced.

> In skolelinux, we have enabled devfs by default (by using devfsd) to
> get LVM working.  We haven't experienced any problems yet.  I believe
> enabling devfs by default in Debian would be a good thing to do.

i use devfs on any machines and i won't use a regular dev on my settop
boxes with the ro root.

bastian

--
No one wants war.
		-- Kirk, "Errand of Mercy", stardate 3201.7