cannot boot to install woody

Hi, this is the first time i install a debian linux.
i've downloaded the 1st cd image from internet.
Since i have a non-bootable scsi cd-rom, i had to create a boot floppy.
i thought not to have problem 'cause i thought it should've been much like installing a suse, red-hat or mandrke. i wrote the cd image root.bin from the dists\woody\main\disks-i386\3.0.23-2002-05-21\images-1.44 dir using rawrite2.
anyway, boot hangs. i've tried re-writing it twice again, but noway.
so i switched from root.bin to other img, till i succeded in booting with the rescue.bin img file. After uncompressing the img and detecting my hw, i got a kernel panic msg: "cannot find init [...] try to pass init=<param> to the kernel". what's wrong? is it possibile to install it using the rescue img? and why can't i make my system boot with any other img file?
maybe i chose from the wrong di, since there are lots on the cd.
Thanks in advance

Fabio