RE: PreDepend error in upgrading to Woody from CDs

... Earlier stuff that the CD upgrade from Potato to Woody was failing
with the error "Couldn't configure a pre-depend" and similar using both
dselect and apt-get...

... Trying minimum upgrades under dselect also failed similarly

Trying to first upgrade dselect using apt-get produced the following:

   Debianutils: PreDepends: libc6 (>= 2/2/4-4) but 2.1.3-18 is to be
installed
E: Internal Error, InstallPackages was called with broken packages!

This message also appears when I try to upgrade libc6 as well

Apparently the problem is with libc6. How do I correct this situation?

--
David