Re: menu item numbering

[Tollef Fog Heen]
> Martin also suggested that no menu items should have the same
> number.  If so, we need to allocate numbers and track which have
> been given out.

This is a really bad idea.  One nice feature in d-i is the fact that
you can modify and extend at will without any central coordinating
body.  Requiring all numbers to be different will make it harder to
enjoy this feature.

If I make a package, and want to use someone elses package, I should
be able to do this without having to modify any of the packages to
avoid number conflict.