Re: debian-installer - using devfs in the installed system

On Sun, 2002-12-08 at 21:47, Bastian Blank wrote:
> hi folks
>
> we discuss about devfs or not devfs in the installed system.
> we currently map any devfs path to the non devfs variant. the count of
> map definitions will grow if we want to support more special hardware.
> so the question is, why won't we use devfs on the installed systems?

Devfs has not really had a great welcome in the Linux community as a
whole and it looks likely that devfs support will become depracated in
2.6. I expect Sarge to ship after 2.6 has been announced stable
(pessimist?) or at least large numbers of the sarge userbase to install
a 2.6 kernel when available. I'm inclined to suggest that implemented a
soon to be depracated and generally disliked feature in the installation
system might not be the best idea...?

Regards,

Rob
--