Re: [patch] cdebconf and i18n

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 06:40:02PM +0100, Denis Barbier wrote:

> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Do you really think that there are no Japanese people outside of Japan?
> >
> > Then they should use ja_CA or whatever they want.

This is not related to what we're speaking about. ja_CA doesn't mean "I
speak japanese and live in canada", but "I speak the variant of japanese as
spoken in canada".

> No, this locale does not exist.

Well, I would say that gettext fallback to ja if ja_CA does not exist.

But I agree that it's a bad idea to use the country part of the local to
guess the place where I live. This field is meant for dialects. For example,
if I speak the brazillian variant of portuguese, I'll use pt_BR. Even if I
live currently in france. Or, if I want to see "colour" instead of "color",
I'll set my local to en_GB (or en_US, I can't remember what is said where ;).

But it does not give you any information on my actual geographical location,
just the language variant I want to use.

Thanks, Mt.

--
J'admets que ces nouvelles technologies nous ouvrent d'autres perspectives,
mais je refuse que cela soit au détriment des possibilités anciennes comme