I've lost my init

After installing debian 3.0 (on my second
hard-drive which previously had nothing on it) I
did get into the xwindows and kde bits, but
couldn't find my way out and ended up closing
down my computer without closing the programs
first.
I thought it would forgive me, just this once,
but on booting next time (from the floppy, my
boot copy) I get:

unable to open an initial console
Kernel panic: no init found
Try passing init option to kernel

I put the CD with the original program in and
looked up rescue.
After the boot command I put
rescue root=/dev/hdb
and get this:

[MS-DOS FS Rel. 12,
FAT 16,
check=n,
conv=b,
uid=0,
gid=0,
umask=022,
bmap]

[me=0xb9,
cs=23940,
#f=191,
fs=5450,
fl=61110,
ds=15675156,
de=1563,
data=15675282,
se=223252,
ts=159132728,
ls=64543,
rc=0,
fc=4294967295]
Transaction block size = 512
Kernel panic : VFS : unable to mount root fs on
03:40

Can you help me get my init back please?

Merle