Re: I18N roadmap [was: i18n requires setlocale]

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002 15:36:58 +0200
Marcin Owsiany <porridge@debian.org> wrote:

> 1. Am I right that cdebconf handles the templates in debian-installer?
>
> 2. Is this possible on all architectures? I mean: do all architectures
>    use framebuffer?
>    That also means that bterm will be "Essential" in debian-installer,
>    since we won't be able to output any localized text without it.

UTF-8 does not require bterm and framebuffer.
We can still use serial line, etc.

Also, fallback to "C" locale should be possible.

> 3. That will make debconf depend on libtext-iconv-perl, though and force
>    its inclusion into base system. Is that acceptable?

I'd say yes, if it is necessary.

I'd rather have a cdebconf with iconv support and without,
so that we can fight against space constraints, and still have a
full-blown i18n in debconf.

regards,
	junichi

--