Re: Woody Installation

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 01:25:23PM +0200, Axel Schlicht wrote:
> Chris Tillman wrote:
>
> Hi Chris
> It's also on the CD, but I first thought it was Chinese (ch, well might
> also be Swiss) and with no Chinese fonts at hand I decded to skip it.
> And, if you first look under /doc you only have zero byte files under a
> non-unix-flavored OS, a they usually don't have links.
>
> > > What about providing something like indicating a file which lists all
> > > possible kernels on all CD's. should be a text file so that a simple cat
> > That would be the README's in /install/doc
> There's no README in /install/doc on CD1
> There's a README  in / on CD1 but it doesn't cover this

Oops, misguided you there. The flavor README's are down in the archive
structure, under disks-i386/current. There's one in each flavor folder.
Not very accessible. Probably it would be good to add the flavor stuff
from those into the / README ?

> /install/doc/install.en.txt however mentions 4 kernels (I think they are
> on CD1)

If isolinux works on your machine, you get to choose from the 4.
otherwise we have the four on the 1st four CDs also.

> I have seen them while installing on my laptop (IDE inly, so I didn't
> run into any problems here). It mentions : vanilla, compact, idepci, and
> bf2.4 and some additional information.
> As there is also a text file alogside the html files, it should be
> readable while installing.
> A small plea:
> I do believe most people will first jump to /doc, do a ls, read install,
> jump there and only see  0 byte files. (Especially if you have a look at
> the CDs under M$. A short textfile saying see under /install/doc might
> solve this. Not a big deal but s small help.

Actually, _most_ people don't read the docs even if they find them.
But this could be added to the / README, if it's not already there.

> > No, as someone else mentioned we're not working on boot-floppies
> > any more. We'll need help testing the new installer once it becomes
> > available. You'd agree it's a minor problem?
> Some CD(-ROM)s won't boot properly, some (older) Laptops willl also have
> problems to boot from CDs. Will it, for some time in the future, still
> be possible to boot in a differnt way (loadlin etc). And, with the CD
> set (bnary only) now spanning 7 volumes, will there son be DVDs? (Just a
> question).

DVD images are available now. I think we will be supporting floppy installs
only for older hardware; thats IMHO. Loadlin doesn't work with the new
kernels, I haven't heard about anyone fixing it.

|      <http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual>     |
|        debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>       |
|                  To Have, Give All to All (ACIM)               |