Re: Localized default values (was Re: [d-i] Problems with various debconf templates)

On Sun, Sep 08, 2002 at 09:04:20PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Denis Barbier wrote:
> > Isn't English spoken in quite a lot more countries than United States? ;)
> > Why is United States a good default value whereas France is not for French
> > speaking people?
>
> Because the US is reasonably well connected to everywhere and has Debian's
> main round-robin mirror network in it. If these facts of servers and network
> topology should change, we should then change the default of course.

Makes sense to me, looks like I have to find a better example.

> > Seriously my feeling is that users are getting bored when they
> > choose a language and provided default values do not take this
> > information into accout (when choosing keyboard layout, mirrors,
> > default system language, etc.).
>
> Bored? If you want to provide sane location-based defaults, then ask the
> user where they are. This information, if in a reasonable form, can be
> re-used by base-config, which already has to ask about it for time zone
> setup. (Or do you think I should force all French speaker's computers to
                                   ^^^^^
> be set to GMT when they install? :-P)

Aren't we talking about default values?  Whether this default value is
blindly used depends upon template priority, or did I miss something?
And I am not sure that forcing them to use a wrong timezone is very helpful ;)

Denis