Re: [Q] Adding something to bot floppies

On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 12:45:28PM +0200, Boris DAIX wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>    And sorry for still being far from this ML level... But I need to
> add an accessibility executable file and its /etc config files to the
> current boot floppies for Woody. I looked for documentation about how
> they are built, and failed to find it. I tried to copy images and
> watch into, but fs is not auto-recognized so I didn't see anything
> from them. Last thing was to look in debian FTP directories (where I
> got images), nothing to understand how to make customs (I don't say it
> doesn't exist, but I didn't find it...).  The executable needs to
> access one serial port.
>    The machine to be boot like this would be installed this way first,
> and I want the rescue process to work with this executable too. It may
> be put on another floppy (if no free space is available on existing
> boot ones), but should be available before any interactive stuff. I
> may want to use those customized floppies to build bootable CDs (for
> recovery or even install from CDs), but the first step is floppies
> 'cause some machines can't boot on CD.
>    So, my need is big :-) Where can I obtain doc on the way rescue.bin
> and root.bin for i385 are built and how to rebuild them ? The best
> thing would be a "Customizing boot floppies HOWTO"...

Sounds interesting. I recall maybe six months ago, a blind person posted
on the list trying to do something similar. You might search the archives
and contact him to see how it came out.

There isn't anything like a HOWTO, but it's all in there. There are a few
READMEs to guide you, and the source itself is not terribly bad as far as
being laid out in a readable way.

To get started, do an anonymous checkout of the CVS tree. There's a README
for that, http://cvs.debian.org/boot-floppies/README-CVS. You need around
22M of disk space for the checkout. Then, you have the whole source, and
you can start with the READMEs.

Probably one of the first things to try is a build; I recommend copying
the whole source tree to a separate build folder. You have to build as
root, and things get built all over the source tree; it gets ugly.

Even though boot-floppies is end-of-life, I think incorporating
accessibility is seen as a worthy goal; and whatever you do might end
up being incorporated in the new debian-installer code.