Re: BiDi and RTL

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 02:13:32PM -0000, Moshe Zadka wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, "Chris Tillman" <tillman@voicetrak.com> wrote:
>
> > We spend so much energy keeping the installer within a floppy's size. I
> > move to abandon that silly goal for d-i, and simply refer folks to
> > boot-floppies for floppy installations. It's not like it's dead and
> > buried, and it's a good match technology wise, 1990's software :-) with
> > 1990's hardware. Well, you get my drift.
>
> Do you have a CD-Writer? Maybe. But I don't in 2002, and neither do
> several of my friends. So, you're moving that I'll be unable to install
> Debian without ordering a CD?
>
> > CD's are ubiquitous
>
> CD writers are not

Well, they are becoming so. No, I don't have one myself. In the year
I've been working with boot-floppies, I've done all my installations
by downloading packages over the network and putting them on my hard
disk.

I certainly wasn't intending that a physical CD should be required,
but how about being able to install directly from a CD image that you
downloaded on your hard drive? Apple has done that for years, it's
called a self-mounting image; you double click it and it mounts as a
loop device on your desktop. If not that, we will certainly retain
hard disk installation capability in some form.

> > Plus, we already have a working floppy installer!
>
> Boot floppies is dead. Nobody will maintain it for woody+1, unless
> you are going to do it.

Au contraire (sp?) if bad bugs are found in boot-floppies they would
be fixed, probably for the next two years until sarge is released.
(History repeats itself).