Re: BiDi and RTL

* Philip Blundell

| On Tue, 2002-06-11 at 08:17, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
| > d-i will use UTF8 as the one and only supported encoding.  Having
| > talked with dancer and moshez on IRC, this seems safe enough to do.
|
| Okay, cool.  What will d-i do about non-UTF8-capable screens and serial
| lines, force the use of English?

either that or replace the strings with something more-or-less
sensible.  For ISO8859-1 languages, this usually won't be a problem
(you'll only lose a few chars here and there), but I can see that it
will be unuseable with Japanese (for instance).  However, most of our
users will be on UTF8-capable screens, and to a certain extent I
believe that those who aren't are so advanced that English won't pose
a problem to them.

Or, if you have a better idea, I'm all ears.

                                                                      `. `'
                                                                        `-